A clean sweep — time to start the elevators

Rivet count: a whole bunch + 0 = a whole bunch

I still haven’t caught up with the rivet count.  Hope to have that soon.  I should be around 1,200 or so.

After getting the horizontal stabilizer up on the wall, it was time to start on the elevators.  But I decided it would be a good idea to do some general clean up first.  There was a lot of detritus strewn about the shop, so I cleaned off the tables, swept the floors, and returned tools to their proper places.  It was worth the effort.

2014-07-27 12.47.23

Then I started digging out parts for the elevator and trim tab.  I though that, since I was pretty much done with all the “wingy” parts, it would be easy to find everything.  As usual, it was not.  The ribs weren’t hard to find, but many of the small parts were.  Bag #3037 got me again.  Since it is a plastic bag, I stored it in the rivet bins instead of with the paper bags.  I eventually dug everything out though.

Here are all the internal parts laid out.  The big skins are still safe in the crate (though moved to the top).

2014-07-27 12.47.15

 

The first job is to separate the A-B parts of the ribs.  This is just a couple of cuts on the band saw.  It leaves a rather jagged cut and leaves the guide holes in place.

2014-07-27 18.15.07 2014-07-27 18.20.24

 

Then I used a file to get nice, sharp, straight, smooth edges.  A rough file took the excess off (there’s some holes and half holes as cutting guides that you need to file out).  A smooth file took off most of the rest.  I still have to hit these up on the ScotchBrite wheel.  I guess I could have tried to use the wheel to smooth the rough cuts, but the file seemed easier (and gives that nice straight edge).

 

2014-07-27 19.01.08

 

I unexpectedly had a little time on Tuesday night, so I went over to the shop to cut the foam ribs out.  I saw a hint where a builder made metal sanding guides to make it easy to get identical ribs.  I had trouble getting the proper size profile cut into the metal template.  In the end, I used the method suggested in the plans: spray adhesive to hold the paper template on the block, cut and sand to finish.  Here’s a final polished rib next to a rough cut one.

2014-07-29 19.45.29

After those first two, I found it was just easier to make a close cut with the band saw and then use a sanding block to finish.  When I lined the ribs up they looked great.

2014-07-29 20.44.18

 

Next up: Deburr and finish the (metal) ribs and start on the elevator tips.

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

One thought on “A clean sweep — time to start the elevators

  1. Pingback: Going up! The elevator comes together | n414pj

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s