Even with mass this morning and fixing the Christmas lights, I got to the shop by 1:30 for about 5 hours of work on the bulkheads.
There are five bulkheads. I riveted the aft-most one yesterday and deburred and primed the next two Those came together pretty quickly. With lots of cold 1/8″ rivets, it was easier to hand squeeze than to use the pneumatic squeezer (better control and more oomph by hand!).
I clamped my hand squeezer to the table which made the riveting much easier than holding an unweildy bulkhead and a rivet and a squeezer all at once. It also made it a lot easier to get a good push on the arm and make best use of its mechanical advantage.
The rear three bulkheads take up only 20″ of the fuselage! They have bulky straps to hold the vertical and horizontal stabilizers in place.
The next steps seemed so simple… The 2 forward bulkheads only have a few rivets and no thick aluminum straps to mount. However, they are very large (compared to the other bulkheads), are made in two pieces, and have many, many nooks and crannies to deburr. I filed the worst parts of the outside with a fine file, hit the many lightening and system holes with sandpaper and scotchbrite, and sanded around each of the approximately 10,000 flange tabs. Then I finished the accessible edges on the scotchbrite wheel. I used almost (but not quite) all my remaining primer priming the bulkhead parts. Not too many rivets to do and the squeezer was still set up, so I thought I would bang together the last two bulkheads. The first one went together very quickly (only 5 rivets as you leave the top 3 open for later riveting). The second one has ten rivets (an extra two hold the rudder cable bracket to the bulkhead). On my very last rivet, the squeezer apparently shifted so I got a smile rivet to drill out next time.
So, the bulkheads are done for now.
The next steps are to deburr and prime the bellcrank ribs and one more, thankfully small, bulkhead. Then the bottom skin goes on and it starts to look like a real airplane body.