I needed to finish prepping the remaining 18 wing ribs.
The weather was much improved from a couple weeks ago. The shop was a whole 45 degrees F when I opened it up with no snow outside. It really improved the ventilation for the priming.
20 or so minutes per rib to
- Uncleco from the spar where I had them sorted
- Mark and remove the spar bolts
- Check the sizes and locations of the snap bushings
- Mark the location of the bushing hole that wasn’t pre-drilled
- Drill a pilot hole for the snap bushing
- Step drill the 1 to 3 bushing holes
- Deburr the holes
- Deburr the rear-most lightening hole (too big to get with the Scotch-brite sanding wheel)
- Hand deburr the little slots in the flanges
- File the rough flange edges to something smoother
- Run the flanges through the big Scotch-brite wheel
- Shoot it with primer in the paint booth
- Mark the rib with it’s location
- Hang it up
That’s all I did… all day long.
I caught my knuckles on the spar a couple times trying to break the spar bolts loose. There’s a sharp edge from the big double plate that just wants to grab you. My father-in-law expressed no sympathy and simply suggested that I paint the whole thing blood red. I was actually thinking about that as a color scheme. Here’s a very nice paint job that I like!
But in the end… All the ribs are ready for the next steps where I’ll install some snap bushings, rivet the flap attach and torque tube assemblies, match drill the bolt holes for the ribs, and install the ribs (rivets and blots). The instructions call for doing the match drill step earlier, but I didn’t have the right sized socket to pull the bolts. Easy enough to do in this step. I should finish section 14 in the next build session and my wings will start to look like real wings!