So I had to finish the work on page 14-03 that I had skipped (needed a better socket wrench to get the bolts off the spar). There was a lot to do there. I clecoed the newly primed ribs back onto the spar and started drilling the #12’s and reaming the #30 and #40 holes. I only had a few hours on Saturday morning to work before I headed out to work on some Arrow training.
I need to build some retractible time to get into our club Bonanzas and it will be nice to be able to fly something other than our dependable Archers. I needed some work with the head instructor before I get my sign off. It was a very blustery day with 20kt+ winds from the west and big gusts. We flew over to Bridgeport where the winds aligned nicely with runway 29. After getting those aced, we flew over to New Haven where the crosswind runway was out of service. We were landing on runway 2 with 90 degree crosswinds. Lots of fun there too. Huge corrections needed to keep on track. One more day in our second Arrow, and I’ll have my sign off!
Anyway, I got the whole right wing match drilled and final drilled and took off the ribs and did the deburring work. They’re ready to re-attach and rivet (and bolt).
I set up the left wing to do the same, but realized that I was running out of work room. So I decided to go ahead and build a wing cradle.
I made a trip to the Home Depot Aviation department and picked up some 2×4’s and some castering wheels. Just dropped them off at the shop that night.
So Sunday was awesome and beautiful. What a great day to go flying! Too bad the plane I needed was being used to ferry a pilot to pick up another club plane. Sigh. I’ll do the finish work next weekend if the weather holds.
So I got into the shop around 2pm and started working on the cradle (and cleaning out all the crap that accumulated in the shop over the winter). My son was planning on dropping with a couple of his friends to help out. The son showed up around 6pm with one friend, but the timing was great. I had the cradle mostly built out, but I needed to flip it over. It’s 10’x2’x3′ and hard to flip over solo. My son’s friend had never worked on a plane before, so I put him to work reaming out the #30 holes in the spar and rib flanges. My son moved clecos while the friend did the drilling before they swapped jobs.
They did some good work (and I got my shop swept out for good measure!).
The cradle isnt quite done, but it shouldn’t take long to put the top braces in place. I’ll be able to use it for the rib riveting.
Nice to have a sunny, warm, and clean shop!