Wing stand

I’ve been away from the build for a while as a long list of “honey-do” items stood in the way of progress.  I finally got some painting and garage work out of the way.  I even got our bicycles hung up in the garage!

2015-04-25 12.40.24

I didn’t have a full day (I was heading into the city for my boss’ birthday party), but I finally finished the wing stand and deburred the left wing ribs that I match drilled last time.

2015-04-25 11.36.33

The stand is surprisingly sturdy and rolls well on it’s caster wheels.  It took a copy tweaks to the design to get the wing to fit.  In particular, I had to move the end cap pieces to the outside as I needed the full 10 foot length to suspend the wing.  That will be necessary when I convert the stand to a sling to hold the wing tips.

The stand gave me extra work space on the benches to do the final deburr.  I took the ribs off one at a time, deburred the newly drilled holes, and then reattached them.  It worked out nicely.

2015-04-25 09.37.22

The right wing ribs were already deburred (though I checked them again and found a couple holes that needed some retouching).  Both wings are now clamped to the cradle.

2015-04-25 11.36.22

Finally, it is time to get back to some riveting to finish out section 14.  I will pull a couple of ribs off to mount ailerons and flap brackets before riveting the ribs to the spars.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.