I didn’t touch the project for a month, but what a busy month it was!
I finished up my consulting work and took the family on a two and a half week trip around the Mediterranean. Very relaxing (but not conducive to building). We got back home late on the last Saturday in May. The very next day, I flew to Chicago to start my new job. It’s going well so far. For the time being, I’ll be making conjugal visits back to see the wife (and my plane).
The first thing was to re-stack all of my friends books and household goods back in the garage. I had hoped that he was ready to ship it all back to Seattle, but he’s considering another job, so all the goods are staying in the garage for now. I spent the first hour or so shifting boxes around (and unpacking some tools that I had demonstrated at the flying club meeting in early May).
After that, I dug back into the build. I left off with most of the left wing ribs riveted and had nothing riveted on the right spar. I also had to rivet the right torque tube assembly onto the root rib and then rivet both root ribs to their respective spars. And I had some spar bolts to install… It all went together much like the left wing. Nothing to report other than Section 14 is finally done.
Section 15 starts like most sections… find a bunch of small parts and prep the edges. The aileron hinge bracket spacers needed a lot of work. They all have some really rough cut edges. I needed to aggressively file the edges before running them through the Scotch Brite wheel. Lots of inner edges to file and sand as well.