Not a lot to report, just lots of riveting done! As usual, after a big hiatus, I go back through the instructions and check my prior work. Here, I noticed that I used 4 too short rivets where the aileron bracket connects to the top skin. I was reading the plans upside down (to match the orientation of the wing whilst riveting) but it was also mirrored (plans show left wing, I was riveting right wing). So, I didn’t notice that the brackets used 3-4 rivets instead of 3-3.5 rivets. Luckily, I’ve had sufficient practice drilling out rivets. So, my son and I started the day with 4 rivet replacements. Then I went and marked all the non-obvious places where I needed 3-4 rivets (should’a done that the first time!).
So we just kept riveting! We had a break for lunch and then came back and did the last few ribs and then suddenly, there were no more clecos! One fully skinned wing!
I still have the left wing to do. I decided to remake the longer J-stiffener. When I replaced the shorter one (because it was a mirror image of what it was supposed to be), I used a different piece of stiffener stock. I didn’t like the way the two pieces nested and worried that vibration in the wing would wear at the joint. It only took me 20 minutes to fully fabricate, match drill, deburr, dimple, and prime a new one. Then, my son and I swapped the wings. We put the right wing back in the cradle, and moved the left wing to the bench. Then we put in the 100’s of clecos to prepare for riveting. Ready for the rest of the riveting when I’m home in a couple of weeks