Some blog posts just aren’t vey exciting. This is one of them. Having set up the left side leading edge (with exciting stall warning vane hole and access panel!), it was time to do it all again on the right.
The right side was all cleco’d and match drilled, so it was time to disassemble, deburr, and prime. I also pulled off the blue plastic while the skins were stiff in the jig. This is still very time consuming, but I’m getting faster and cleaner with my soldering iron.
I started by deburring the J-stiffener and then got to work on the ribs. My friend the dentist dropped by to help, so while I was scrubbing the ribs with Comet, he was rinsing and drying them. We got them all clean, dry, and primed pretty quickly. I had a bit of a time getting the splice strips in place. I found that by clecoing from the outside in (see below), I was able to stretch and wrap the splice strip tightly to the rib. Then I inserted clecos from the inside out so I could gently push the splice rib into the leading edge skin. I could then extend the clecos to grab the skin. Then I could go from the outside (this time with the skin) back to the inside.
Voila! The right side is ready for rivets!
Next up… I’ll rivet both left and right leading edges. I’ll also get the stall warning installed. I won’t do the final install to the spar since it will be easier to deal with the wings as parts whilst trucking them to Chicago. I’ve read several posts on riveting these sections. Some suggest laying the leading edges flat while others suggest going in from the top (as positioned now). I’ll figure out what works best for me when I actually get started. I do want to make sure that I protect against dropping the bucking bar. I would be very easy to put a massive dent in the leading edge.
I did get a new tungsten bucking bar. This one is actually a surplus rotor balance weight from a Cobra helicopter. It’s about a pound and a half and sits nicely in my hand. We’ll give it a try soon!