Lots of work, but somehow the tanks look the same!

I’m finally back from my month long hiatus.  Some things went as planned, but I didn’t get as much flying in as I hoped.  I had hoped to fly to Fredericksburg for Memorial Day weekend, but the strong area wide thunderstorms put a crimp in those plans.  Somehow in a battle between an 865 pound plane and a Texas thunderstorm, I know who will win!

I did make it up to Denton, TX for my LSA-Inspector course.  I learned a lot.  Much of the course was about how to correctly fill out paperwork to keep the FAA happy, but there was a bit of hands on work.  There was a 60 question test at the end of second day.  I aced it, of course, as it was just a bit of memorization.  This didn’t actually get me my certificate.  I had to go down to the Houston FSDO (Flight Service District Office) to get someone to look at my paperwork in person and get me a temporary certificate.  I’ll get a new Wilbur and Orville FAA card in the mail in a couple of weeks.  I don’t actually need it to work on the plane, but will need it in October when I sign off the condition inspection for N903EN.

2017-06-10 14.18.24

My sister-in-law keeps digging up some of my father-in-law’s old tools (he built a BD-4 and most of a BD-5).  This time, she found a rivet puller and some Avex rivets.

2017-06-17 09.40.03 HDR

The last time I took the -12 out, I got a message on the EFIS warning me that the backup battery needed to be tested (It has an internal timer that makes sure the battery is tested once a year).  The test is really simple, actually.  When you shut the EFIS down there’s a button to run a battery test.  The way it tests that the battery will stay up for 45 minutes is to simply keep the display on for 45 minutes and see if there is still battery power remaining.  It passed with flying colors.  I’m good for another year.

 

2017-06-17 12.33.12 HDRI left off last time after getting some of the countersinks done for the tank baffle on the left tank.  I finished off the other 150 countersinks and then started working down the instructions.  Next up was prepping the #8 screw dimples and putting a slight bend in the trailing edges so they hold down better.  I really like these Avery pliers to do that.

2017-06-17 11.52.58-1

Then I finished up the J-stiffeners.  Just had to unclamp them, deburr, and dimple.

2017-06-17 15.25.29-1

The instructions suggest using a C-frame to do these #8 dimples as they will come out “crisper” than if you squeeze them.  I used the C-frame on the trailing edges, but ended up squeezing the side ones.

I still have to dimple the interior 3/32″ holes for the ribs, but I need to build an extension for my DRDT-2 for that.

So, I’ll need to make a quick stop at Lowe’s aviation department and get a little lumber so that I can run the dimpler off the edge of one of my EAA tables.  Once that’s done, there are a couple of outside pieces to finish up (countersinking the fuel cap, installing some shims, etc…) and then it’s on to the sealant!  Luckily, my hangar neighbor John used the stuff as an Air Force crew chief, so I’ll have some of his expertise to lean on.

I can hardly wait to get the tanks sealed up since things will happen fast after that.  I will finish up the leading edges (just have to put the landing light lens in) and start installing stuff on the wings.  My fuselage is ordered and should be here in early August!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s