Apologies to Bob Seger, but sometimes I feel that I get stuck on a single page for days at a time. I can hardly wait to turn the page, as it were.
This time, the page is 10-14.
It took some work to get to the page, but then it seemed like I was just stuck there.
As of the last writing, I was working on the bulkheads and looking ahead to this page. It seemed so easy! It turned out to be a lot of work!
The parts are getting very large. This means it takes proportionately longer to deburr, dimple, and prime things.
First up was the bottom skin.
I pulled the blue plastic off (very hard with the cold temps). I had to wipe off some adhesive like crud from where I pulled riveting strips off the bottom with acetone.
I deburred the edges (the inner edge is a kind of built in j-channel) with file and sandpaper and scotchbrite. Then I started dimpling… and dimpling… and dimpling!
I got a “selfie” while I was at it so the FAA will know that it was me freezing my ass off building this thing.
I primed and then painted the inside skin pan Rustoleum Granite grey. My thinking is that the interior is “public” space. It will be viewable, stuff will knock around in it. The primer isn’t super durable (and not really a final finish), so I topped it with a nice neutral grey. It looks nice!
Van’s recommends using two sawhorses, but I found it easier to work with one sawhorse and one table end. I could clamp the bellcrank rib box to the sawhorse and make it very stable.
I decided to back rivet the bottom skin. I had a two pound back rivet bucking bar that I was planning on using for the wing skins. It worked really great here.
You can get nearly every rivet this way except for a few that are right up against the bulkheads. I only had to buck four rivets.
The riveting went really fast when my son stopped by the shop to give me a hand He would pull a cleco, drop in a rivet, and place the bucking bar. Then I would give the rivet a tap. Super-easy.
I came back the next morning, bucked the four missing rivets and started on page 10-14….
There are SO many rivet holes everywhere! Four stiffenners, two longerons, and matching holes in the left and right skins!
The side skins have a lot of detail bits to get to. Here, I’m going at the rudder cable pass through opening with a small file.
Finally, the right skin get’s a coat of granite grey to finish it.
After this skin dried, I hung it on the bottom skin. Then I had to start all over again with the left skin! I was much faster the second time around though.
Over the weekend, I was going through the plans errata at VansAirForce and noticed that the instructions forget to mention to rivet the bellcrank ribs to the F-01407 bulkhead. Sure enough, I hadn’t done it. I flipped the rear fuselage over and was able to squeeze four of the six rivets, but had to use my offset set to drive the last two. The shop towel helped protect the finish from the bucking bar and the blue painters tape did the same for the rivet set.
The stiffeners and longerons go on in this step. The spar is too heavy a gauge to dimple, so it has to be countersunk. There are 176 holes or so. I had a lot of magic pixie dust!
The stiffeners and longerons are supposed to “slide” in… ha ha ha. I ended up having to put them on before clecoing the skin in place.
I eventually managed to get everything in place and flipped it right side up on my tables!
It looks practically ready to rivet! It’s not… still a couple of pages to go before that happens, but at least I can finally turn the page on 10-14!
So page 10-15 just has you cut some tabs off of the aft bottom skin. It is actually a lot of work because you have to rebuild a smooth edge from the rough saw cut. I ended up clamping it loosely to my bench and filing the edge down to a smooth finish (and then doing a final pass on the scotchbrite wheel). I gave it a quick coat of primer and granite grey and re-clamped it to the bench to rivet the rearmost bulkhead.
The most exciting news was that I took the last few items out of the empennage case. I needed the space to walk around the table and wanted to tip it out of the way. So I took out the top skins and a couple miscellaneous parts and tipped the box on it’s side. I must really be getting to the end of this kit!
I had a hard time getting the aft rear skin and bulkheads in clecoed in place. I ended up pulling the skins off and rejiggering the hole mess. Eventually though everything was square and then the clecos slid right in the way they’re supposed to. My son stopped by to help rivet, but we spend about an hour just getting the clecos ready.
We were able to squeeze the top row. It went really fast because we could squeeze most of the rivets away from the bulkheads. My son would pull the clecos and set up a rivet for the easy ones. I got the reset with my tungsten bucking bar and mushroom set.
It was getting late, so I didn’t have much time (my son had gone home to sit down and warm up since it was back to a one person riveting operation). I got the top half of bulkhead rivets done down to the A stiffener. I’ll get the bottom half tomorrow… I’ll probably need some help to get the curved bottom parts though. The skins there do not lay very flat. I broken them as Van’s suggests, but they really need a lot more bend than I gave them (particularly in the aft section). I’ll probably try to soft tap them with my rivet gun to set a curve.
Got a few hundred rivets in today. Should get about three hundred more tomorrow! Then the top skins go on with a dozen nut plates and the wiring harnesses get routed (the harnesses are already in place to get them to run through the stiffener channels but have to be finalized in a couple of pages).
Closing in on a new trophy if I can just get off page 10-19 🙂