I headed down to the shop a little early this Saturday. There was a front coming through in the afternoon and I wanted to get some more flying time in with the -12. My neighbor was in his hangar banging away at his Rans, so I invited him along for the ride. Just up for 45 minutes or so. There was a scattered, low cloud deck at 1700′, so I didn’t go very far. Some practice with the navigation system and playing around with turns.
I still had a little deconstruction work to do on the bad aileron. I got the thing pretty much apart and salvaged the nose ribs and end ribs. After breaking off the manufactured heads, I still had to remove some of the shop heads. I didn’t want to drive them through (which might bend the flanges here), so I just used a pair of pliers to rotate them out. The replacement parts will be here Thursday, so I can start the rebuild then.
When I packed up the shop, I roughly clecoed the ribs into the fuel tanks. This kept the pieces together and kept the skins from getting banged up. I wrapped the whole thing in moving blankets and slipped it into the spar crate. Worked wonders for two moves!
I had skipped the fuel tank section because I wanted to do the work when the weather was better. Not fun using fuel tank sealant, and really not fun using it in very cold weather! So, first I started looking for parts. The tanks have a surprisingly large number of parts!
I quickly found and sorted the main ribs. The inner ribs have a large hole in the bottom so that fuel can run between the ribs. I’ll probably put in a flapper door that helps keep the fuel inboard when maneuvering. The outside ribs, of course, don’t have the holes. I quickly found the brackets and the stiffeners, but it took a while to dig out the flanges and fittings (hidden in a small brown paper bag labeled “Fuel Fittings”). There was one part, though, that eluded me for almost an hour. I couldn’t find the T1005A stiffener and clips. I checked all over the hangar. Finally, just as I was about to give up, I found it in the parts cabinet. It’s an bent L, only about 1 foot long. It had slipped to the back of the shelf and was mostly hidden. I think I have all the parts now!
My buddy Carver is coming over next week to help (He’s at Sun ‘n Fun this week looking at planes!). It will be nice to have more hands to do the parts prep. Just gotta remember not to prime anything!