I worked on the ailerons in my basement in NY during my “time of exile” between my Chicago job blowing up and starting my Texas job. It was nice (except for the being out of work and worrying about the mortgage and food on the table and all that) to be able to work on the plane a bit every day. However, my work space was a bit cramped and I messed up the left aileron — badly. I missed riveting some rivets on the nose skin! I didn’t notice until both top and bottom skins were on. I tried to get my hand into the gap through the very small holes in the spar, but the bar and the rivet gun slipped and damaged the skin beyond salvage.
Well, I did all the deconstruction and figured out what pieces I could salvage. I bought new skins (top/bottom/nose), a new spar, and new stiffeners.
I went back through the instructions and used a red check so I could distinguish from my first shot at left and right ailerons. I was also able to complete the countersink that I had skipped whilst building these in my basement (since the countersink bit was in a hangar in Chicago, 800 miles away).
I bought a new doubler. It was cheap and easier than trying to get the old one off the spar.
There was a lot of trimming to rebuild the stiffeners. It seemed like it would be less work than trying to get all 16 pieces off of the old skins. It probably took as long, but I’m happier without having elongated holes in them. I got a nice pile of aluminum shavings for my daughter to make into earrings though :-). Unsurprisingly, I made the same mistake I did the first time through. I did not trim the stiffeners to the right length. I had to go back and cut them to the proper size so the “tails” did not lap over into the tail wedge. Of course I discovered this after I had carefully smoothed the edges, so I had to give them another pass on the belt sander and the ScotchBrite wheel.
I had Friday off (the markets are closed on Good Friday, so it is a work holiday for me). So of course I headed out to the hangar for some flying and building. Got to work back to back on Friday/Saturday and really get some progress in.
This is the point where I noticed that I did not cut 10.3mm tails on everything. Sigh!
I got the DRDT-2 set up again. I opted not to build a dedicated table like I had in New York, but rather to clamp it directly to my work table. The height worked out pretty well and I was able to get the nose, top, and bottom skins dimpled pretty easily.
My hangar neighbor, John (with his faithful pal, Mia) is building a RANS S-21. It is a much simpler kit with a pre-welded steel frame, poly fuel tanks, and fabric covered surfaces. He only has about 250 hours into the build, but he’s ready to put the wings on! He’ll be flying in six months or so (This is why I bought the -12, so I could fly now!)
It’s been a while, but I fell back into the rhythm of building. I got the parts scrubbed with Comet and primed (leaving the trailing edge clean for bonding).
Friday night, I picked up some lumber at Lowe’s to make some stands for the DRDT-2. I knew that if waited until the next time it was time to dimple, I wouldn’t remember to build some table stands. I built a couple of nice 2’x2’x7″ boxes with carpet tops. They fit nicely on the EAA tables.
My buddy Carver was back from Sun ‘n Fun eager to help. He finally decided that he’ll start on his own RV-14A next year. He wants to practice on mine! I showed him how to back rivet and got him started on the skin stiffeners while I prepped the nose skin and spar.
We got the nose skin half riveted to the nose ribs and called it a day. Here, Carver is squeezing his first rivets with the 4″ no-hole yoke. They came out very clean.
We loosely clecoed the spar in place just to keep the metal from sitting in a bent position all week. The redo is coming out very clean!
It will probably take another full day to complete the aileron (plus a second day to let the trailing edge set up). I’m looking forward to getting started on the tanks (you can see the parts sitting on the bottom of the bench taunting me!).
Meanwhile, I’m still working on the RV-12. I’m feeling a lot more confident flying it. The comm/intercom has some issues. I’m planning on swapping the SL40 out for a new Garmin GTR-200. All the reviews say that the intercom is really nice and it should clean up the squelch problems I’m having.